Help & Support Search

How to submit evidence

A screen-by-screen guide to submitting evidence.

Does TDS enforce deposit protection law?

No. We are a private company approved by the Department for Communities and Government DCLG) providing deposit protection and dispute resolution.
If tenant believes the landlord has not complied with their obligation to protect a tenancy deposit, the tennat...

My agent or landlord holds my deposit. How do I get my deposit back?

If your landlord or agent holds your deposit it is protected in our  insured scheme . 
You should contact your landlord or agent directly to arrange the return of the deposit.
If you are unable to reach an...

What is a tenancy deposit dispute?

If there is disagreement at the end of the tenancy over how much of the deposit is returned to the tenant and how much the agent/landlord is entitled to keep, you can use the dispute resolution mechanism to resolve the...

What is a tenancy deposit?

A tenancy deposit is money paid by a tenant to their landlord. It is held as security in case the tenant doesn't meet their responsibilities in the tenancy agreement. 
The deposit should be paid back to the tenant when...

How do I raise a dispute?

The dispute process can be completed online. You can begin a dispute after the tenancy has ended.
The way to start a dispute depends on whether the deposit is protected with the custodial or insured scheme.  

Should my deposit be protected?

Deposits need to be protected on the standard type of tenancy with private landlords, called an 'assured shorthold tenancy' (AST). 
The key features of an AST are:

it began on or after 15 January 1989;
the annual rent...

What if the other party does not agree to my request for repayment? (Custodial scheme only)

If the other party does not agree with your request for repayment at the end of the tenancy, they will be given the opportunity to raise a dispute with TDS. 
The dispute resolution mechanism invites both parties to put...

What evidence do I need to submit?

Adjudicators must look at all evidence provided, so it should only be submitted if it relates  specifically  to the issue in question. 
For example in a damage dispute a photograph if only necessary if it shows the damaged item in...

What if the agent or landlord doesn't respond to the repayment request? (Custodial scheme only)

When a correctly completed repayment request is submitted, TDS Custodial will contact the other party to the tenancy agreement and ask them to respond within 30 working days, indicating whether they:

agree the proposed allocation of the deposit;

Page 1 of 9

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9