Should my deposit be protected?

Deposits need to be protected on the standard type of tenancy with private landlords, called an 'assured shorthold tenancy' (AST). 

The key features of an AST are:

  • it began on or after 15 January 1989;
  • the annual rent does not exceed £100,000;
  • the house or flat is let as separate accommodation; and
  • it is the tenant’s main home.

This is defined by the Housing Act 1988 (as amended).

Other types of tenancy do exist, so check the paperwork if you're not sure. If you are a lodger (living with the landlord and renting a room) it is not an AST and the deposit doesn't need to be protected. 

Did this answer your question? Yes / No